Web app to extract torrent files out of Blizzard Downloader

By Sean Christmann | Posted June 28th, 2008 | Flex

Diablo 3 was announced today and like many thousands of other gamers online right now I’m trying to download the 800mb high def gameplay trailer while putting up with the very clumsy Blizzard Downloader application. For those who don’t know, the Blizzard Downloader is just a mini BitTorrent client with a single torrent file baked in. I’m not a big fan of the downloader because I already have a BitTorrent client that’s much better at bandwidth allocation and my firewall’s already set up for that client. I’d much rather download the movie with my own client instead of Blizzards so I’ve written a little flash app to help facilitate that.

To use this, just point the app at the url of any Blizzard Downloader exe file online (I’m not sure if it’ll work with the .dmg files) and hit the ‘Extract’ button. A link will pop up below that you can click to save the torrent file. The file has no name by default so you’ll have to rename it ‘whatever.torrent’ after it finishes downloading. The resulting torrent will still connect to Blizzards tracker and you’ll download the same file you would be if you were using the Blizzard Downloader app.

This should work with all browsers other then IE 7 and below, since IE doesn’t support the data:URI scheme to create dynamic files.

View Source

Example URLs:
Diablo 3 Gameplay Downloader
Starcraft 2 Gameplay Downloader

More Info:
Blizzard Downloader Wiki

Reader Comments (11) Leave a Comment

1. Cr0wley | July 11, 2008 at 3:32 pm | permalink

You sir are an absolute genius – I used to hand extract the .torrent out of patch files with a hex editor in days gone by when I was still on dial-up. The Blizzard downloader is sadly poor. Thanks!

2. spirit | August 6, 2008 at 5:57 am | permalink

Just a thought on your Photo Browser flash+xml+php (http://www.twelvestone.com/forum_thread/view/15182): I can’t load external pictures through the PHP. I replaced the gallery.php file with a collection of Flickr photos links and it doesn’t work. It only works with local pictures OR if the swf and the pictures are on the same domain… have you met this problem?

- Sorry I know it’s not the right place but I can’t register to twelvestone –

Thanks a lot.
    Regards

3. Sean Christmann | August 12, 2008 at 12:22 pm | permalink

spirit, make sure you’re linking to photos on http://api.flickr.com instead of the main site. the reason why is flickr only allows cross domain loading through that specific subdomain.

4. j | November 24, 2008 at 10:22 pm | permalink

YES THANK YOU SO MUCH I CAN FINALLY GET AROUND THIS DAMN FIRE WALL. GOOD JOB WORKS GREAT

5. john.jones.name | March 5, 2009 at 7:56 pm | permalink

well this is interesting !

considering the ISP’s are doing traffic shaping and blizzard are doing the right thing as they are the content producers it just add’s weight to the reasons not to traffic shape…

regards

John Jones

6. Jeck Lamnent | July 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm | permalink

This didn’t work so I went into my Windows temp folder and found _TRF13F.tmp (it’ll be different on yours) and opened it and it was a .torrent so I appended .torrent to the filename and launched it with bit torrent and it worked fine for downloading Starcraft 2. To get more trackers I opened StarCraft_2_EU_en-GB.exe up in an editor and copied the tracker list out.

7. kjfggh | August 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm | permalink

Gay.

8. Cyris | December 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm | permalink

Awesome Jeck Lmanent this is much before.

9. Adam | January 24, 2012 at 4:33 am | permalink

I didn’t get this to work, but I also found a file in my temp directory. On my system it was called _TR7552.tmp. Perhaps we can draw the conclusion that the file will start with _TR and then have 4 letters.

10. rolf | March 15, 2012 at 8:23 am | permalink

Thanks for your Website. Nice to be able to download with own Torrentclient instead of Bizzards One.

11. Elfranne | February 13, 2013 at 10:19 am | permalink